Exceptional service in the national interest
Two dates are well known to Sandians: the day President Harry Truman wrote a letter calling for “exceptional service in the national interest” and the day Sandia (previously Z Division) separated from its parent, Los Alamos National Laboratory, and became the entity we know it as today.
Labs historian Rebecca Ullrich presents 70 years of Sandia
As part Sandia’s 70th anniversary celebration, Labs employees were treated to an insightful, humorous and engaging presentation, “70 years of Sandia: How did we get here?” by Sandia historian Rebecca Ullrich. During the presentation, Rebecca described the Labs’ path from its beginnings as part of Los Alamos National Laboratory to the launch of Sandia Corporation and the Albuquerque campus to the expansion of the Labs to its current state.
Sandia’s built environment tells a story of its adaptation and vision for the future. The buildings and structures reflect a rich and varied 70-year architectural history that first began to take shape in the fall of 1945, when the Los Alamos based Z Division started moving down to the site of the current Albuquerque campus.